Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

If you could go back 10 years and say just one thing to your past self, what would it be?

Let’s say you have as much time as you want to think about what you’re going to say.

Hey Matt, Great question (and great forum revamp too! 😉 )

Upon brief thought, the advice I would give to a young, 15yo me would be to decide what you want to do, rather than just doing what you think others want you to do.

I spent most of my high school and university days following along the path that others prescribed to me, more or less. By the time I came to understand that it should be me, and me alone, directing my life, I was basically finished University, which left a lot of closed doors behind me. I don’t regret going into engineering, as many of the skills I picked up from it I consider invaluable today, and I did meet a lot of good friends and special people along the way. However, the decision to go into it could be likened to putting all the various careers and occupations that teachers, parents and guidance counselors suggested may be compatible with my skills and personality on a dartboard, and then choosing whichever one the dart landed on.

I realize this is a rather generic answer so I will try to give it a bit more thought and see if I can come up with something better.

I’m curious to know what your advice would be to a 15yo baby Matthew would be? (Other than choosing to be my roommate earlier =p )

Such a good answer.

I would say like Nike, just do it. Whenever I have something I’m unsure of, just move forward and learn as you go. A certain amount of bravery is needed, just like rooming with a guy like you ;).

This relates to your answer I think too. A lot of the time, people know what they want to do, they just don’t do it because they worry it won’t work out. Paralysis by analysis.

Alright, I’m changing my answer to “this too shall pass”.

Zoom out, realize everything ends and use your short time as best you can.

When you zoom out, the things that stop you from acting seem trivial. You’ll regret things you didn’t do more than things you did. Like Nike, just do it.

When you zoom out you learn to let go; don’t cling to things, let them pass for new growth to come. That gap between one thing and the next that you feel causes growth, and it’s noble. Tune into, not away from, the feelings that come with change, and let them pass through you.

When you zoom out, you can be patient and trust in something larger, faith in a higher force guiding things. You’re a part of things, not the centre of them and you only control so much. Ride the wave. Surrender to what you can’t control, it’s often the only path forward.

This too shall pass. Pain, love, beauty, power, status. Take it in and pass it through you like a good meal. Let it change you and let it pass. Don’t grasp for it. Embrace it, even love it. It’s all happening as it should.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.